Ready, Set, Grow Garden Competition
Entries for the 2021 competition have now closed. More information on the 2022 competition will be released early next year.
- Best front garden Dampier
- Best front garden Baynton (including Baynton West & Madigan Estate)
- Best front garden Nickol (including Nickol West)
- Best front garden Millars Well
- Best front garden Pegs Creek
- Best front garden Bulgarra
- Best front garden Point Samson
- Best front garden Roebourne
- Best front garden Wickham
- New Category: Best water wise garden (reduced water usage, moisture retention strategies, recycling and reuse)
- New Category: Best garden, before and after! You must include images that are recent (within the last year)
- New Category: Best street - one street from Dampier, Karratha, Roebourne, Wickham and Point Samson will be awarded best street depending on the overall appearance of the street
All entries will be judged by a panel including horticulture professionals over a two week period.
Judging will be based on six main factors:
- Presentation: general appearance, layout and design (including maintenance, weed management, plant health and vigour
- Plantings: use of colour, form and composition, variety and repetition, year-round interest
- Sustainability: reduced water use, moisture retention strategies, recycling and reuse
- Construction: use of materials, construction methods, sculptural elements and plant selection
- Natural Environment: encouraging wildlife (providing a habitat or food source for local native fauna), use of native and local plant species and free of declared or environmental weeds
- Creativity, innovation and passion: Is the garden creative, innovative or original? Does the garden reflect the City of Karratha’s unique environment? Does it reflect the effort, enthusiasm and knowledge of the gardener(s)?
- 1 x Category winners - $700 Try Local Cash
- 5 x Best Street - $400 Meet the Street reimbursement and 'Best Street' street sign
- 10 x Highly Commended - $300 Try Local Cash
- Mayors Best Overall Award - $1000 Cash
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
- Entry to the City of Karratha Garden Competition is free.
- All gardens must be located within the City of Karratha.
- By entering the City of Karratha Garden Competition, entrants agree to the Terms and Conditions of Entry which include: provision of access to the front garden, including those with fences, for judging purposes during normal business hours, your name, suburb/townsite and photographs of your properties garden being used for judging and publicity purposes. Photographs remain the property of the City of Karratha and may be reproduced in promotional material.
- Final judging will be carried out by a panel of judges appointed by the City of Karratha.
- Competition timelines will be confirmed in early 2022
- All prizes are awarded at the discretion of the judging panel, whose decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Once the Mayor's Best Overall Winner has been chosen, it will eliminate the entry from the remaining categories.
- There are 10 highly commended prizes up for grabs – these can be given to ANY entrant in any suburb e.g. there might be three Highly Commended in Millars Well and none in Baynton.
- Entry and judging relate to the front garden only. Rear gardens will not be eligible for entry in the Garden Competition.
- Winners may be required to submit valid identification, that contains their address before receiving their prize.
- Winners will be announced on the City of Karratha Facebook page following garden judging.
- Prizes will be Try Local Cash, redeemable via a unique code provided to each winner.
- The City of Karratha reserves the right at any time to cancel, modify or suspend the competition (including altering prizes) if, in its sole discretion, a competition is not capable of being conducted as specified. The City of Karratha reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal value in the event that circumstances beyond their control make this unavoidable.
- The City of Karratha, nor the parties involved, will accept any responsibility or will be liable for any injury, loss or damage to an entrant’s property as a result of participation in the Garden Competition.
- The personal information requested on the entry form is being collected by the City of Karratha for the purpose of the Ready, Set, Grow Competition. The City of Karratha will disclose this information to the Competition judges for the purposes of judging the competition entries and awarding of prizes.
- By entering this competition you agree to any images taken as part of the judging process, of you, your property or your garden being used for future promotion for this competition and any marketing at the discretion of the City of Karratha.
- If you choose not to provide the requested information, the City of Karratha will be unable to process your entry.
- Due to a possible conflict of interest, the following parties are ineligible to enter the Best Garden, Best Before and After Garden and Best Waterwise Garden categories:
Members of the judging panel and their immediate family
City of Karratha Councillors or staff and their immediate family