Residents can dispose of household waste, recycling, general and green waste at the City’s 7 Mile Waste Facility, free of charge.
Commercial clients may also dispose of waste at 7 Mile, however charges do apply.
Residents: 7am – 4.30pm every day, excluding Christmas Day, New Year’s Day and Good Friday.
Commercial: 7am - 4.30pm Monday to Saturday, excluding Christmas Day, New Year’s Day and Good Friday.
Tip Shop: 8am - 4pm Saturday and Sunday, excluding Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
It is a condition of entry to the facility that all users conform to directions issued by City staff. Any goods deposited at this facility become the property of the City of Karratha.
Customers are responsible for unloading their own vehicles.
All residential customers must stop at the Transfer Station Office for directions.
Pets are not permitted on site. Please remember this facility is a smoke-free area.
The following waste cannot be accepted by the 7 Mile Waste Facility:
• high pressure containers - exceptions apply for Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)
• peat, acid sulphate soils
• explosives of any kind
• fuel - exceptions apply for HHW
• commercial quantities of motor oil - maximum of 100 litres will be accepted from commercial customers, charges apply
• commercial quantities of cooking oil - maximum of 100 litres will be accepted from commercial customers, charges apply
• marine and emergency items - exceptions apply for HHW
Check out the Landfill Waste Classification and Waste Definitions 1996 Class IV or V waste categories.
Reusing household items helps conserve raw materials, reduces energy costs of producing replacements and extends the life of the landfill.
Tip Shop staff assess items for re-use potential before pricing them for resale. All electrical goods are tested and tagged before resale.
Tip Shop Conditions of entry
For your safety, please note the following conditions of entry to 7 Mile Waste Facility Tip Shop:
• footwear must be worn at all times
• goods are sold ‘as is’
• warranties are not offered on any item purchased
• prices are fixed and not subject to negotiation
• refunds are not able to be given on any goods purchased
• loading and removing items purchased is customer’s responsibility.
• City of Karratha staff have the right to refuse service to abusive customers and ask them to leave the premises.
• items not collected by the required collection date will be resold must be removed at time of purchase
• customers must follow directions issued by City of Karratha staff
Residential recycling at 7 Mile
Residents can place the following items in the specifically marked bins/areas:
- plastic household containers
- paper and cardboard
- aluminum and steel cans
- glass jars and bottles
Recycling areas are also available for:
- motor oil - containers cannot be emptied and must be left on site (maximum of 20 litres)
- cooking oil - containers cannot be emptied and must be left on site (maximum of 20 litres)
- scrap metal, including whitegoods
- green waste
- lead acid car batteries
- Household Hazardous Waste, including chemicals, flares, fuel and gas bottles
Paintback paint recycling
Unused paint may be recycled at 7 Mile Waste Facility. Commercial and residential customers can drop off unused paint in secure containers during facility operating hours, free of charge.
Drop off up to 100 litres of per visit. The 100 litre maximum is based on the capacity of the container, not the volume of paint. Paint must be delivered in secured containers no larger than 20 litres each, separated by water based and oil based paint. Please note these containers will not be returned.
Place your water based and oil based paint separately in labelled Intermediate Bulk Containers (IBC).
The National Paintback Scheme is supported by Cleanaway Karratha and the City.
Residents can drop off a maximum of four passenger or 4x4 vehicle tyres free of charge.
A Mobile Muster collection point is available at 7 Mile Waste Facility.
Located outside the site attendants office near the Tip Shop, you can recycle all makes and models of mobile phones, chargers and accessories and wearables including smart watches and fitness trackers