Nuisance or stray cats

Sometimes, disagreements about pets can happen. The first step in resolving an issue with a nuisance or stray cat is to talk to your neighbours, or the cats owner, if you know who it is. 

Often these issues are resolved after a conversation, with the cat owner taking responsibility for their pet. 

If you are not comfortable speaking directly with your neighbour, you can call the City of Karratha Ranger Services on 9186 8555 or try writing a polite letter outlining your concerns and leaving it in their mailbox. Keep a copy of this letter for your records and evidential purposes. 

Alternatively, you can call Ranger Services on 9186 8555 and organise to borrow a cat trap. 

The ReportIt platform can also be used to report an issue with a cat. 

The City does loan out cat traps where a loan agreement is to be completed. 

You can also try some natural deterrents to discourage cats from your property: 

  • Citrus fragrance
  • Coffee grounds
  • Lavender oil
  • Garlic
  • Cinnamon
  • Lemongrass
  • Citronella
  • Eucalyptus
  • Vinegar sprayed on areas where they roam
  • Pinecones and heavy bark mulch (cats don't like the feeling on their feet)
  • Dried nut or bean shells, broken egg shells, holly leaves or rock mulch
  • Curry plant
  • Rosemary
  • Scaredy cat plant
  • Lemon thyme
  • Lavender

Another method is to fill a two litre plastic bottle with water and place in your yard or garden. 


Sign up for City of Karratha news:


The City of Karratha has a number of e-newsletters to keep you up to date on a range of topics.

Sign up and select your interests here:

 Arts, Culture and Community Events
 Sport and Recreation
 Business and Economy
 Tenders and Public Notifications

Read our Privacy Policy