Building forms

If you want to undertake building work in the City of Karratha, information is available to help ensure your project is safe and compliant.   

Before you start, there are some approvals you need to secure.  

Read the Western Australian Building Act (2011) and the Building Regulations (2012) for more information on which building works need building permits, and the compliance standards they must follow.  

The City of Karratha is classed as a Region D wind zone (cyclonic), almost all building works require building approval prior to commencement, exemptions are limited for the safety of our community.  

All building works must comply with the National Construction Code (NCC), which includes the Building Code of Australia (volumes one and two) and the Plumbing Code of Australia (volume three). 

Current legislation allows for building applications to be submitted as either certified or uncertified applications. 

If you would like to know what building approvals are in place for your property, please submit a Building Information Request. This also provides you with the option to order copies of the existing approvals and plans.

Download an application form from Department of Mines, Industry, Regulation and Safety to start your approval process.  

Read the building applications information guide to learn more.  


Sign up for City of Karratha news:


The City of Karratha has a number of e-newsletters to keep you up to date on a range of topics.

Sign up and select your interests here:

 Arts, Culture and Community Events
 Sport and Recreation
 Business and Economy
 Tenders and Public Notifications

Read our Privacy Policy