The 7 Mile Waste Facility is approximately 10km from Karratha, located on Exploration Drive in the Gap Ridge LIA. The turn-off to the Waste Facility is signposted on Dampier Road.
Residents: 7am - 4:30pm every day excluding Christmas Day, New Years Day and Good Friday.
Commercial: 7am - 4.30pm Monday to Saturday excluding Christmas Day, New Years Day and Good Friday.
Tip Shop: 8am - 4pm Saturday and Sunday excluding Christmas Day, New Years Day and Good Friday.
Fees and charges – refer to the Fees and Charges that apply to users of this facility.
Household Hazardous Waste: operating hours. Refer to the information below.
Special Disposal Requirement Waste (formally known as 'Contaminated Waste') – refer to the City of Karratha information regarding Special Disposal Requirement Waste
Recycling - Residents only
A kerbside recycling service commenced in early 2017. Read the Recycling Service brochure for more information (PDF 3mb)
Residents can place the following items in the specifically marked bins:
- Commingled recycling
- Plastic household containers
- Paper and cardboard
- Aluminium and steel cans
- Glass jars and bottles
There are also recycling areas for:
- Motor oil – containers cannot be emptied and must be left on site (maximum of 20 litres)
- Scrap metal including whitegoods
The 7 Mile Waste Facility is a Mobile Muster collection point.
Located outside the Site Attendants office near the Tip Shop, you can recycle;
- All makes and models of mobile phones
- Mobile chargers and accessories
- Wearables including smart watches and fitness trackers
Commercial clients note:
All Commercial vehicles entering the 7 Mile Waste Facility must weigh in and out using the weighbridge and follow all directions given by landfill staff. Refer Use of Weighbridge for detailed instructions regarding delivering waste to this facility.
Purchase orders are required if waste disposal charges are to be levied against anyone other than the carrier. Drivers to present a hard copy of the purchase order to the Weighbridge Operator before moving on to the weighbridge.
Disclaimer: The City of Karratha, its employees, servants and agents, shall not be held responsible for any loss, damage or injury (fatal or otherwise), whether to property or person, howsoever by entrants to this site.
The HHW program provides funding for the collection and appropriate disposal of HHW collected at the 7 Mile Waste Facility. At this site the public can drop off their unwanted HHW for free.
Accepted materials through the HHW Program:
- Acids and alkalis
- Batteries (household)
- Engine coolants and glycols
- Fire extinguishers - Non halon (red) only
- Fluorescent lamps and tubes (CFLs)
- Gas cylinders (small household)
- Household chemicals (e.g. cleaners)
- Pool chemicals
- Smoke detectors
- Unknown chemicals (must be in sealed, chemical resistant containers)
Only domestic waste will be accepted. Limit 20kg or litres per material type. For more information on the HHW Program, click here.
This is a project funded by the state government and administered by the Waste Authority through the Waste Avoidance and Resource Recovery Account.
With the support of Cleanaway Karratha, 7 Mile Waste Facility have a bin on site that enables the recycling of unused paint through the nation-wide Paintback Scheme.
Commercial and residential customers can drop off their unused paint in secure containers during facility operating hours for free under the following conditions:
- Maximum of 100 litres of paint per visit;
- Paint must be delivered in secured containers no larger than 20 litres – these containers will not be returned;
- Customers are to dispose of their own paint by walking in to the hook bin via a ramp.
More information about Paintback, how it works and how paint is recycled is available here: https://www.paintback.com.au
It is a condition of entry to this facility that all users shall conform to directions issued by Council Staff. Any goods deposited at this facility is the property of the City of Karratha.
Customers are responsible for the unloading of their own vehicles.
All residential customers must stop at the Transfer Station Office for directions.
PETS ARE NOT PERMITTED ON SITE. THIS IS A NO SMOKING FACILITY.
The following waste CANNOT be accepted by this facility:
- High pressure containers
- Peat, acid sulphate soils
- Explosives of any kind
- Commercial quantities of motor oil (a maximum of 100 litres will be accepted from commercial customers – charges apply)
- Marine and emergency items
- Any other waste specified as Class IV or V according to the Landfill Waste Classification and Waste Definitions 1996
All queries concerning the Karratha 7 Mile Waste Facility can be made through the Council's Customer Services Department during office hours on (08) 9186 8555.