As part of the project a 250m2 Water Playground is being constructed within the Wickham Pool facility.
Rio Tinto has committed $8m towards the capital cost and an additional $0.5m per annum contribution to operating the WCH.
Lotterywest is also contributing $1.5m towards the capital cost and fit out of the building.
The project budget is $16m
The Wickham Community Hub will provide a modern and efficient community facility that addresses the climatic conditions of Wickham and meets the identified functional needs of the community integrated within the Wickham Recreational Precinct.
This project comprises a flexible multi use facility that complements the existing infrastructure and responds to the social networking and developmental needs of the families and young people at Wickham.
The Wickham Community Hub will provide the following facilities;
- Community Library and associated external courtyard,
- Early Learning Centre accomodating 50 children with associated outdoor play areas,
- Multi-purpose room 1 and associated external space shared with the Library and accomodating a range of community groups including playgroup and arts and crafts.
- Youth Drop in Centre including internal areas, office and a kiosk,
- Covered external Youth Centre including a skate park, activity spaces, video projection and ability to accommodate events and performances by/for young people.
- Multi-purpose room 2 and medium hall accomodating community groups including fitness classes and the flexibility to combine with the internal youth space to create spaces for large community events and functions,
- Three offices able to be leased to community organisations or critical service delivery operators. (May be constructed subject to level of interest to lease offices)
- New parking bays with service access and vehicle turnaround,
- Significant landscaping at the new building and linking with the recreational precinct,
- External toilets and changing facilities at the Squash Centre building,
- Refurbishment of the existing Community Hall to accommodate new users including Peak 1 Boxing Club, Muay Thai, Marshall Arts and Kinder Gym.
The Wickham Water Playground will provide an exciting and stimulating addition to the Pool facility. It has been designed to reflect the regions diverse sealife and iconic coastline, combining elements of land and sea to create an interactive water play space. Features of the water playground include;
- Concrete steps leading to a water slide for toddlers with a series of interactive weirs to one side,
- Four interactive cascading mushroom features at different heights,
- A giant interactive starfish sprouting water from its five arms,
- A showering Palm tree,
- Two fibreglass sea turtles surrounded by randomly sequenced ground sprays,
- Ground geysers throughout the play area,
- Three giant coloured shower rings,
- A showering boat feature complete with three dualing water cannons and streams of water from its gunnel rails and mast,
- A giant dumper bucket,
- An old jetty structure constructed from galvanised steel and shot creted, carved and coloured to resemble sea ravaged timber posts. The top of the jetty will comprise galvanised steel planks to provide shade.
- A low perimeter seating wall on the north side.
View our latest media release about this project:
Wickham Community Hub fly-through
For more information about this project please contact the City on 08 9186 8555 or firstname.lastname@example.org