Visit Main Roads WA's Pilbara Alerts page for important road condition information.
Current advice for road users
ROAD CLOSURE: Sharpe Avenue/Welcome Road
The construction of the roundabout on Sharpe Avenue will begin on Monday 13 November, opening on Wednesday 20 December. See our media release here.
Throughout this period the intersection will be closed to all traffic with traffic management and detours in place:
The City of Karratha has engaged Karratha Earthmoving & Sand Supplies to undertake these works. For any enquiries or concerns please contact Beau Corps on 08 9185 6451.
Temporary Road Closures – less than four weeks
- Any road closure less than four weeks requires written authorisation from the Chief Executive Officer.
- Requests should be made in writing to the City of Karratha administration office.
- There may be some requirement to advertise the closure, depending on the length of time and location of the closure.
- Advertising is to be arranged with advice from the City.
- A minimum of two weeks notice is required prior to any road closure less than four weeks.
Temporary Road Closures – greater than four weeks
- It is a legislative requirement that any road closure greater than four weeks is publically advertised in the local paper with a request for submission and any adjoining owner notified and given the same opportunity to offer feedback. After the submission period is closed then the matter needs to go to Council for their approval.
- It is therefore required that a minimum of eight weeks notice is given prior to any road closure greater than four weeks is proposed in order for this process to be completed.