- About City of Karratha Youth Services
- Youth centres
- Contact us
- Frequently asked questions
- Youth Strategy 2019-24
- Term 1 2020 program
- Youth Advisory Group
How do we do this?
Youth Services coordinate the provision of a diverse range of youth programs and activities, as well as a calendar of youth events. Our ideas for these activities, events and programs come directly from young people through a variety of consultative mechanisms.
Where do these activities, programs and events take place?
All over the City of Karratha! We like to mix it up and make sure all activities are accessible for all young people and that a range of places and spaces are activated across our wonderful City. We do this by hosting programs at different venues, events in different towns and running activities that are outreach style in the community. We also have two purpose-built youth centres in Karratha and Wickham that operate year-round.
Youth Services memberships
- The Base - 08 9186 8576 / 0417 021 087
- The Youth Shed - 08 9186 8045 / 0429 061 652
How can I stay connected and up to date with what's happening in Youth Services?
- Coordinator Youth Services: Chrystal - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senior Youth Officer (Karratha, Dampier): Vacant
- Senior Youth Officer (Wickham, Roebourne, Point Samson): Luke - email@example.com
- Youth Officer (Karratha, Dampier): Gemma - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Youth Officer (Wickham, Roebourne, Point Samson): Melissa - email@example.com
The majority of our youth programs are free. This information is always included on promotional material however if in doubt, contact Youth Services.
Sometimes young people will need to get tickets to events or book their spot in programs to attend. REGISTERED programs will be clearly promoted in this way. This process allows us to be prepared to cater for the number of youth attending the activity. If there's no info about registrations or tickets, it's likely the activity allows youth to simply come and go as they wish.
City of Karratha Youth Services occasionally provide transport for young people to attend activities, and to utilise this service registrations and consent from parent or guardian is required. For major events such as the annual Youth Week celebrations, buses from outlying towns to the event/s are provided. Such activities and events are promoted with the relevant transport information.
General transport options for young people to attend City of Karratha youth centres and programs is not provided by the City itself. TransKarratha provides intra-town and inter-town public bus services in our region and more info about routes can be found here https://www.pta.wa.gov.au/our-services/transregional#Timetables-and-fares-20
Youth centres and outreach programs provide a range of snacks and meals for young people, depending on the activity and time of day. Generally, healthy snacks and meals are provided for young people such as curries, BBQs, wraps, toasties, stews, pastas and more.
The best way to get in touch with our Youth Services team is to email firstname.lastname@example.org
There is zero tolerance for bullying, swearing and antisocial behaviour. Youth Staff implement a Behaviour Management Policy to ensure provision of:
- A safe and engaging environment
- A variety of fun and exciting activities
- Effective supervision for the duration of the program
- Enforcing a behaviour management system based on positive reinforcement, ample warnings for negative behaviour and acknowledgement of achievement
- First Warning: The young person is verbally made aware of their inappropriate behaviour and why it is not appropriate.
- Second Warning: The young person is verbally informed about their continuing behaviour and removed from the group for a period, at the discretion of Youth Services staff.
- Third Warning: If the young person continues to demonstrate inappropriate behaviour, Youth Services staff will ask the young person to depart from programming and the facility. Youth Services staff will contact their parent/guardian for immediate collection. If the youth is not collected and will not leave the premise, Police may be called.
Disclaimer: Youth Services staff reserve the right to ask a young person to leave the program/facility immediately and will instantly escalate any incidences of violence or damage to property, displays of threatening behaviour, or any other behaviours warranting escalation as deemed by Youth Services staff.
No, City of Karratha Youth Staff do not provide this service. Our Youth Staff are responsible for the safety and wellbeing of members whilst they are participating in Youth Services activities and to ensure young people have support available if required. Our Youth Staff often work closely with youth support agencies whose core service offering is providing individualised support for young people, for a range of needs. If you have any issues or concerns, or want some advice, let a staff member know.
Download the Youth Strategy 2019-24 here (16MB PDF)
Karratha and Dampier
Roebourne, Wickham, Point Samson
The aim of the Youth Advisory Group (YAG) is to create a mutually respectful partnership with young people in the City of Karratha, so that young people’s ideas, skills, perspectives and contributions are valued. The City of Karratha invites the voice of young people to input into a range of City functions.