Walgu Park, located on the corner of Sharpe Ave and Welcome Road, provides a restful green space that links the Red Earth Arts Precinct to the city centre and shopping precinct, offering a highly aesthetic shaded landscape for visitors.
The project included the following elements:
- Long-vehicle parking facility at the rear of the shopping centre
- A footbridge linking the long vehicle parking across the drainage swale to the park
- A continuation of the surface treatment from the Red Earth Arts Precinct car park area
- High quality landscape treatment with a focus on shade, green space and seating areas for quiet contemplation
- Retention (and shaping) of the existing vegetation where possible
This project was delivered in 2019. Walgu Park was officially opened by the Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia, the Honourable David and Mrs Linda Hurley. Walgu Park was supported by the City of Karratha, the Federal Government through the Building Better Regions Fund and the State Government through the Royalties for Regions program, administered by the Pilbara Development Commission.