City of Karratha

Register My Dog

It is an offence not to register your dog and you could be issued with a significant on-the-spot fine for failing to do so. 

Check your pet's registration tags! Pet registration renewals are due by 31 October each year - if your pet requires re-registration (has a 2018 rego tag) come and see us at the City of Karratha administration office on Welcome Road.

NOTE: From 1 November 2015 State law required that all dogs in Western Australia over the age of three (3) months must also be microchipped - you can find out more about this here.

Ranger Services' main animal control task is the management of dogs within the City of Karratha. Find out all you need to know about dog rego and owning a dog here.

The law provides that all dogs in the City over the age of three (3) months must be registered in the name of a person over the age of 18.

For current fees and charges please call the City of Karratha: (08) 9186 8555.

We encourage all dog owners to sterilise their pets to prevent them contributing to the increasing population of unwanted dogs and puppies.

It is an offence not to register your dog and you could be issued with a significant, on-the-spot fine for failing to do so.

Council needs to be notified in writing about any change of dog ownership so our registration records can be kept up to date.

Dog owners are expected to ensure that their pets are not a nuisance or dangerous to the community.

Dog owners have specific legal responsibilities, which are intended for the convenience of all the community.

If you have been issued with an infringement notice it can be paid at the City's administration office on Welcome Road, Karratha. 

There is a maximum of two (2) dogs permitted to live at an address without having to apply for a permit to keep additional dogs.



Off-lead Dog Exercise Areas

If your dog is easily controlled when off lead, you may take them to the following parks:

> Tambrey Oval – Nickol
> Mara Guthurra Park – Baynton West
> Millars Well Oval – Millars Well
> Pegs Creek Oval – Pegs Creek
> Old KEC Oval – Bulgarra

Owners must have verbal control over their dog at all times and must be able to stop their dog from interfering with other people's enjoyment of the area.

Dogs are required to stay on lead during sporting events and training and are not allowed to enter children’s play areas.  Download a map of the Dog Exercise Areas (1.5mb PDF)

Unwanted dogs

If you have a dog that you are no longer able to keep, you can advertise for it to go to a new home.  Contact SAFE Karratha on (08) 9185 4634.  Rangers do not collect unwanted dogs.