The Department of Fire and Emergency Services will provide storm surge and flood mapping if the threat of a storm surge is possible. Information will be provided 48 hours prior to expected impact. '
The Department of Fire and Emergency Services will provide advice at that time if relocation is necessary.
What is Storm Surge?
Storm surge generally accompanies a tropical cyclone as it comes ashore. Produced by the strong winds of a cyclone or tropical storm, storm surge forces water onshore, usually over a limited stretch of coastline.
For more information - http://www.bom.gov.au/cyclone/about/stormsurge.shtml#action
You can prepare for storm surge in a number of ways:
- Understand the storm surge risk to your area.
- Check with Council to see if your house is in a storm surge zone.
- Prepare your home and property - if your property is prone to storm surge consider alternatives to carpets
- Ask Council about evacuation routes and centres
- Prepare an emergency kit
- Prepare a household evacuation plan
- Prepare an emergency plan for your pets.
- Keep a list of emergency telephone numbers handy (ie on the fridge or by the phone)
- Check your insurance policy to see if you are covered for storm surge damage
Take action when under threat from Storm Surge
- Listen to ABC radio or your local radio station for alerts and updates on weather conditions.
- If advised by emergency authorities, be prepared to evacuate if a storm surge threat arises.