City of Karratha

Public Interest Disclosure

The Public Interest Disclosure Act 2003 (PID Act) allows people to make disclosures about wrongdoing in public authorities including local governments, and protects them when they do. Reporting wrongdoing is serious and it often takes courage for people to come forward. If you have seen, heard or know of something you believe is unlawful or improper, we encourage you to read the following information.

What is a Public Interest Disclosure?

In order to be covered by the PID Act, the disclosure must relate to information that would be a matter of public interest and tend to show wrongdoing by a public authority, an officer or a contractor when performing a public function. A disclosure is more than a general complaint about dissatisfaction with a product or service or a decision by government, and it is more than a personal grievance that can be resolved by agreement between parties. 

What are types of wrongdoing?

Wrongdoing includes:-

• An offence under State law 
• Substantial misuse or mismanagement of the authority’s resources 
• Substantial risk of injury to public health, safety or the environment 
• Administrative matters covered by the Ombudsman 
• Improper conduct.

Who can make a public interest disclosure?

Anyone can make a disclosure, including members of the public, government clients or stakeholders, and people who work for a public authority, as long as they believe, on reasonable grounds, their information is or may be true. Making a deliberately false or misleading disclosure carries significant penalties under the PID Act.

You can make a disclosure anonymously. However, this may make it difficult to investigate, for example, if the investigator wishes to contact you to obtain more information or clarify something raised in your disclosure. 

Before making a disclosure, contact a Public Interest Disclosure Officer for the City of Karratha to find out more about:

• How to make the disclosure and who you should disclose to 
• Your rights and responsibilities 
• The protections that will apply 
• Whether the information you have is covered by the Act. 

Once you are satisfied that making a Public interest Disclosure is the appropriate route for you, and you are fully aware of your rights and responsibilities under the PID Act, you can then complete a Public Interest Disclosure Lodgement Form and provide it to a City Public Interest Disclosure Officer.

If your information is not covered by the Act you can still make your disclosure to the public authority concerned using its grievance process (if you are or were an employee at the time the incident occurred) or its complaints management process (if you are a member of the public). Once you have been informed about the Act and your rights and responsibilities, you must make it clear that you have chosen to make your disclosure under the Act.

Who are the City's PID Officers?

Henry Eaton 08 9186 8631
Josie Lanza 08 9186 8530

Where can I get more Information?

If you would like to obtain further information you can contact one of the City’s PID Officers. You can also view the City’s Public Interest Disclosure Policy or refer to the Public Sector Commission website that offers a helpful guide for disclosers: Don’t be afraid to speak up.