Home Occupation/Home Business/Home Office
Should you wish to operate a small scale business from a residential property you will be required to seek development approval from the city. The following information outlines the difference between a home occupation, home business and home office. Please note home offices are exempt from the requirement for development approval.
Home occupation means an a business or activity carried out within a dwelling house or the curtilage of a house by a person resident therein or within a domestic outbuilding by a person resident in the dwelling house to which it is appurtenant that:
- entails the conduct of a business, office and/or workshop and does not entail the retail sale or display of goods of any nature,
- does not cause injury to or prejudicially affect the amenity of the neighbourhood,
- does not detract from the residential appearance of the dwelling house or domestic outbuilding,
- does not entail employment of any person not a member of the occupier’s household,
- does not occupy an area greater than 20m2,
- does not display a sign exceeding 0.2m2 in area.
- in the opinion of the local government is compatible with the principal uses to which land in the zone in which it is located may be put
- will not result in the requirement for a greater number of parking facilities than normally reserved for a single dwelling and will not result in a substantial increase in the amount of vehicular traffic in the vicinity,
- does not entail the presence, parking and garaging of a vehicle of more than two tonnes tare weight.
a business, service or profession carried out in a dwelling or on land around a dwelling by an occupier of the dwelling which:
- does not employ more than 2 people not members of the occupier’s household;
- will not cause injury to or adversely affect the amenity of the neighbourhood;
- does not occupy an area greater than 50 square metres;
- does not involve the retail sale, display or hire of goods of any nature;
- in relation to vehicles and parking, does not result in traffic difficulties as a result of the inadequacy of parking or an increase in traffic volumes in the neighbourhood, and does not involve the presence, use or calling of a vehicle more than 3.5 tonnes tare weight; and
- does not involve the use of an essential service of greater capacity than normally required in the zone.
Home office means a dwelling used by an occupier of the dwelling to carry out a home occupation if the carrying out of the occupation:
- is solely within the dwelling; and
- does not entail clients or customers travelling to and from the dwelling; and
- does not involve the display of a sign on the premises; and
- does not require any change to the external appearance of the dwelling.
An Application for Development (Planning) Approval is required for all Home-based businesses with the exception of a Home Office.
Environmental Health Requirements
Depending on the type of business you are operating, an environmental health approval may be required. This includes:
- Food business registration
- Hair dressers
- Skin penetration
For more information refer to the relevant section under Health.