City of Karratha

Home Occupation/Home Business/Home Office

Should you wish to operate a small scale business from a residential property you will be required to seek development approval from the city. The following information outlines the difference between a home occupation, home business and home office. Please note home offices are exempt from the requirement for development approval.

Home Occupation

Home occupation means an a business or activity carried out within a dwelling house or the curtilage of a house by a person resident therein or within a domestic outbuilding by a person resident in the dwelling house to which it is appurtenant that:

  1. entails the conduct of a business, office and/or workshop and does not entail the retail sale or display of goods of any nature,
  2.  does not cause injury to or prejudicially affect the amenity of the neighbourhood,
  3. does not detract from the residential appearance of the dwelling house or domestic outbuilding,
  4. does not entail employment of any person not a member of the occupier’s household,
  5. does not occupy an area greater than 20m2,
  6. does not display a sign exceeding 0.2m2 in area.
  7. in the opinion of the local government is compatible with the principal uses to which land in the zone in which it is located may be put
  8. will not result in the requirement for a greater number of parking facilities than normally reserved for a single dwelling and will not result in a substantial increase in the amount of vehicular traffic in the vicinity,
  9. does not entail the presence, parking and garaging of a vehicle of more than two tonnes tare weight.

Home Business

a business, service or profession carried out in a dwelling or on land around a dwelling by an occupier of the dwelling which:

  1. does not employ more than 2 people not members of the occupier’s household;
  2. will not cause injury to or adversely affect the amenity of the neighbourhood;
  3. does not occupy an area greater than 50 square metres;
  4. does not involve the retail sale, display or hire of goods of any nature;
  5. in relation to vehicles and parking, does not result in traffic difficulties as a result of the inadequacy of parking or an increase in traffic volumes in the neighbourhood, and does not involve the presence, use or calling of a vehicle more than 3.5 tonnes tare weight; and
  6. does not involve the use of an essential service of greater capacity than normally required in the zone.

Home Office

Home office means a dwelling used by an occupier of the dwelling to carry out a home occupation if the carrying out of the occupation:

  1. is solely within the dwelling; and
  2. does not entail clients or customers travelling to and from the dwelling; and
  3. does not involve the display of a sign on the premises; and
  4. does not require any change to the external appearance of the dwelling.

Planning Requirements

An Application for Development (Planning) Approval is required for all Home-based businesses with the exception of a Home Office.

For more information please refer to the Home Occupation/Home Business Checklist and the DP04 Home Occupation and Home Business local planning policy.

Environmental Health Requirements 

Depending on the type of business you are operating, an environmental health approval may be required. This includes:

  1. Food business registration
  2. Hair dressers
  3. Skin penetration

For more information refer to the relevant section under Health.