City of Karratha

Get a Dreamer’s Hill Permit

Looking to sell your car, bike, boat or anything else on wheels on Dreamer's Hill? You will need to organise a Dreamer's Hill permit first. Below is all the info you need to do this.

**Download an application for VMS signage at Dreamers Hill here (PDF 182KB)**

A permit system was introduced at Dreamer’s Hill on March 3, 2012 to legalise the sale of cars, boats, motorbikes and other vehicles at the popular selling point. From 1 July 2012, permits cost $20 and allow the holder of a permit to display their vehicle at the reserve each weekend for one month. An individual will only be allowed to sell one car, boat, motorbike or other vehicle each year.

To get your Dreamers Hill permit:

  1. Download an application form (PDF 208KB) or get your permit in-person at the City of Karratha Administration Office on Welcome Road, Karratha. 
  2. Fill in your application
  3. Get it back to us - Emailed/posted applications must be received by noon Wednesday. Applications made in-person must be registered by 3.45pm Friday.
  4. Once we have your application and payment we will send you out a permit to display on your vehicle.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why are we doing this?

A: Members of the business community complained that the City was illegally permitting the commercial sale of vehicles on reserve land vested for parking purposes only. These complaints triggered the need to statutorily/legally address the issue. Rather than close Dreamer’s Hill, Council determined to address the legal issues and manage the reserve in a way that serves the greater community. Other issues reported at the site include the sale of commercial vehicles, which does not fit with the intended purpose of Dreamer’s Hill. The City had also received reports of people selling large numbers of vehicles from the site, which is again not in keeping with the intent of the site. Nor is the practice compliant with State legislation. By introducing a permit system, Council is minimising illegal activities while allowing residents to continue selling their vehicles at the reserve.

Q: Why is there a permit system?

A: So that we can control who is selling what and minimise any illegal sales activities on the site.


Q: Why am I limited to only one car, one boat, one bike etc?

A: If a person sells more than three (3) vehicles per year then they are legally obliged to obtain a motor vehicle dealer’s license. Dreamer’s Hill is not to be used by commercial operators. If you and your partner both have a car to sell, you can each get permits for your respective vehicles.


Q: How much is the permit and how long does it last?

A: A permit to display a vehicle for sale is valid for one (1) month. If the vehicle does not sell within that time, you can apply for another permit from the City to sell the same vehicle. The fee for the permit is $21, which covers administration fees, signage, maintenance and contractor fees associated with changing the use of the reserve and permitting the display of vehicles for sale. The introduction of a permit system is not a profit-generating exercise by the City. If the City was to generate a profit from this system, we would be required to obtain a license from the Department of Commerce. The $21 permit price means sellers of vehicles will pay approximately $2.50 for each day the vehicle is on display at the site.


Q: Why is the City only permitting sale of vehicles on the weekend and public holidays?

A: Dreamer’s Hill had become a dumping-ground for older vehicles, which could not be sold.  It was an eye-sore and not keeping with the general amenity of the area. All vehicles displayed for sale must be removed from the site by 8am the following working day. Those persons that do not comply will be issued written warnings, in the first instance, and then fined thereafter. The City can also legally tow a vehicle from the site if it is considered to be abandoned.


Q: What if I only park there to catch the bus to work?

A: The management order for the reserve lists ‘parking’ as a permitted use. Provided that there is no ‘for sale’ sign on the vehicle then you can park within the reserve at any time. Any vehicles left on the reserve (for more than 48 hours) will be treated as abandoned and will be subject to removal from the site.


Q: What if I don’t want to pay the fee and use somewhere else to display my vehicle for sale?

A: You can still display your vehicle for sale at your residential property. Use of other City reserves or road verges will result in enforcement action being taken (warnings first and then infringement).


Q: What if I get fined and don’t pay?

A: You can elect to have the matter heard before a magistrate. Information detailing this option is included on the bottom of the infringement. If you refuse to pay, the infringement will be referred to the Fines Enforcement Registry. If you do not pay the Fines Enforcement Registry, you may lose your driver’s license.


Q: Where can I get permits from?

A: Permits are available from the City of Karratha Administration office during working hours. For those people whose work commitments do not allow them to come into the City offices an electronic application form is available. Permit stickers will be issued by Customer Services officers and handed to the applicant at the front counter, or will be mailed to the applicant.

Download the form at the top of this page, get your permit in-person at the City of Karratha Administration Office on Welcome Road, Karratha during office hours. 

Emailed/posted applications must be received by noon Wednesday.

Applications made in-person must be registered by 3.45pm Friday.


Q: What happens if someone damages my vehicle?

A: Display of vehicles for sale, and parking of vehicles at Dreamer’s Hill is at the risk of the vehicle owner. The City of Karratha takes no responsibility for any damage to any vehicle.


Q: What if I want to sell a canopy/roo bar or other vehicle-related item?

A:The City is only permitting the sale of vehicles at Dreamer’s Hill. No ancillary items/parts are to be displayed for sale at the reserve. Any person found doing so will be subject to enforcement action by City Rangers.