City of Karratha

Cat registration and information

Owning a cat in the City of Karratha comes with basic responsibilities that should be followed at all times.  The Cat Act 2011 is in full effect, which means all cats older than 6months of age must be sterilised, microchipped and registered.  Find out about cat control, getting a cat rego / registration and more below.

Quick links

Sterilisation, microchipping and registration

Your local vet will be able to provide you with sterilisation and microchipping services. Registration forms can be obtained by contacting Ranger Services on 9186 8555, the City of Karratha Administration Office on Welcome Road, Karratha, from the Roebourne Library or you can download the Cat Registration Form (0.2MB PDF).

Registration fees
All cats over the age of six months must be registered. Registration assists in returning lost cats.

Yearly registration: $20.00 per cat
Three year registration: $42.50 per cat
Lifetime registration: $100.00 per cat

Pension card holders can receive a 50% discount on registration fees. Pensioner concessions can only be applied on production of a current Pensioner Concession Card, State Concession Card, Veteran’s Card or Senior’s Card together with a Commonwealth Senior’s Health Card.

Want to submit your registration forms via email? Follow the steps below:

  1. Complete the appropriate registration form above
  2. The different options and fees for registrations can be found on the back of the form
  3. In accordance with the Dog Act 1976, all registrations expire on 31 October each year Australia wide
  4. If your dog is sterilised we will require a copy of the sterilisation certificate
  5. In accordance with the Dog Act 1976, it is a requirement for all dogs to be microchipped. We will require the microchip number, on your registration form or for this to be provided at your earliest convenience (this may be followed up by our Rangers Team if not provided)
  6. The completed form with payment details can be returned via email to
  7. Please advise if you would like to collect the registration tag from Customer Service or have the tag posted to you (please allow 5 working days to receive the tag via post mail). Alternatively, you can visit Customer Service at the City of Karratha - Main Administration Building on Welcome Road and provide your completed form along with the sterilisation certificate if applicable. You may also complete a form on arrival and have your application processed while you wait. Operating hours are Monday to Friday 8.30am – 4.30pm.

Owner’s basic responsibilities

  • Contain your cat on your own property
  • Ensure your cat is easily identifiable with a collar, name tag with owner phone number and a registration tag
  • Microchip and sterilise your cat
  • Keep your cat(s) in at night.

Download the Responsible Cat Ownership Brochure (0.5MB PDF)

Lost cats

Contact your local veterinary hospital or SAFE to see if your cat has been handed in and speak to your neighbours to see if they have seen your cat. If you don’t have any luck, contact Ranger Services on 9186 8555.

Cat breeders

If you are a current cat breeder or wish to become a breeder you must apply for a cat breeding permit from your local government. Conditions apply to cat breeding permits and a non-refundable fee is payable upon lodgement of an application. If your application is approved, a Cat Breeder certificate will be issued and is valid for 12 months from the date of approval, with annual renewal and inspections conducted. Penalties of up to $5000 may apply for unapproved breeding.

Number of cats on a property

The City of Karratha Animals, Environment and Nuisance Local Law 2011 currently allows each household to keep a maximum of three cats.

What is the Cat Act 2011?

The Cat Act 2011 requires that all cats over the age of six months must be sterilised, microchipped and registered with their relevant local government.

Note: Requests for exemption from sterilisation and/or microchipping of your cat will only be considered if supported by an exemption certificate from your local veterinarian and only if detrimental to cats health.

The main purpose of the Cat Act 2011 is to:

  • encourage responsible cat ownership
  • provide better control and management of stray and unwanted cats
  • reduce large numbers euthanised each year
  • ensure your cat, by registration and microchipping, can be returned to you should it stray.


What does the Cat Act 2011 mean for you and your feline friend?

As of 1 November 2013, all domestic cats in Western Australia over six months of age need to be sterilised, microchipped and registered with their local government under The Cat Act 2011..

What is the purpose of the Cat Act 2011?

Our new cat laws are about encouraging responsible pet ownership and reducing the number of unwanted cats in the community and the number that are euthanised each year.

What does this mean for you and your feline friend?

From 1 November 2013, all cats that have reached six months of age are required to be:

• Microchipped
• Sterilised
• Registered with the relevant local government.

Your cat will be required to wear a collar and registration tag to ensure they can be easily identified and returned to you if they become lost.

My cat is very old – do I still need to have it sterilised?

Yes, our legislation applies to all cats of all ages. However, your vet can issue an exemption certificate if sterilising your cat is likely to have a negative impact on your cat’s health and welfare.

How does this affect cat breeders?

The legislation requires that a person who chooses to breed cats must apply to their local government for a permit.

When a cat is sold or given away, the seller must ensure the cat is microchipped and sterilised prior to transfer.

If the cat cannot be sterilised due to its health or age, the seller must issue a prepaid sterilisation voucher to the new owner.

What concessions or assistance will be available for pensioners or low income earners?
The Government has provided funding to assist and provide low cost sterilisation for cats owned by pensioners and people on low income. Pensioners will also receive a discount on registration fees.

Where can I get more information?

For more information, including tips for being a responsible cat owner, visit the Department of Local
Government and Communities’ Responsible Cat Ownership web page at:

For more FAQs visit 

Nuisance cat behaviour

If you have problems with neighbouring cats on your property or if you have been approached regarding your own cat causing problems within the neighbourhood, first try to discuss ways to alleviate the problems with your neighbours.

  • If you are unable to or cannot approach an owner, consider placing a letter in their mailbox advising details of the problems caused.
  • Sometimes owners are unaware that their cat is causing a nuisance and will take steps to alleviate the problem once made aware of the situation.
  • If you are unable to locate an owner or are unsure where it has come from, discuss with Ranger Services what alternative methods you can implement to alleviate or deter the problems

Stray or feral cats

If you believe there is a stray or feral cat(s) on your property you must first check with your neighbours to ensure the cat(s) are in fact stray or feral and not a pet. 

If you have asked Rangers to capture a cat you will be requested to assist by gathering relevant information about the cat and its behaviour prior to any attempt at capture. Ranger Services require written permission from property owners to enter and capture the cat(s).

Captured/seized cats

Cats may be seized by Ranger Services where they are found wandering in public areas or on private property without the owner’s consent; however the capture of cats is a last resort option for Rangers.

If your cat is impounded there will be an impound fee payable prior to release.  It is a requirement of the Cat Act 2011 that your cat is registered, microchipped and sterilised prior to release.

Additional resources

For more information, including tips for being a responsible cat owner and/or breeder, visit the Department of Local Government and Communities Responsible Cat Ownership web page at: or contact 1800 620 511

Legal Aid WA - 1300 650 579