John Lally to receive Order of Australia
30 Jan 2018
Former Deputy Mayor, John Lally, is to receive a Medal of the Order of Australia.
The announcement made on Australia Day recognises the more than 30 years of distinguished service Mr Lally has given to the City of Karratha and Australia.
City of Karratha Mayor Peter Long said the award was exceptional and the City of Karratha had been privileged to work with Mr Lally in many different capacities.
“I am thrilled for John. He officially joins the ranks of some of our finest Australian citizens and this is an incredible and well-deserved achievement,” Cr Long said.
“His passion for our city and its growth have been instrumental in all that Council have achieved over the past decade and his work with no small number of other organisations in the City of Karratha has seen him become an integral part of our towns,” he said.
“The work John has done for Dampier, youth, small business and the wider community has been crucial in creating the dynamic and modern city that we are building today. This honour truly befits John and I am sure our community will join me in congratulating him.,” he added.
While with Council, Mr Lally served on 20 advisory groups and committees as well as guiding the Karratha Districts Chamber of Commerce and Industry and the Hampton Harbour Boat and Sailing Club as CEO and Commodore respectively.
The Order of Australia is the pre-eminent way Australians recognise the achievement and service of their fellow citizens with nominations for the honour coming directly from the community. These nominations are researched by the Australian Honours and Awards Secretariat at Government House in Canberra before being passed to the Council of the Order of Australia, who make recommendations direct to the Governor-General.
An official ceremony to recognise 2018 Order of Australia recipients will be held in May.
John Lally: Serving on Council from 2007-2017
- Karratha Airport Advisory Group
- Waste Services Advisory Group
- Sister Cities Advisory Group
- Public Art Advisory Group
- Arts & Community Precinct Advisory Group
- Dampier Community Hub Project Reference Group
- Deport Redevelopment Advisory Group
- Pilbara Development Assessment Panel (Council Rep)
- Pilbara Regional Council (Council Rep)
- Audit and Organisational Risk Committee
- City Status Advisory Group
- Cultural and Municipal Offices Advisory Group
- Burrup Rock Art Committee
- Pilbara Iron Dampier Community Advisory Group
- Woodside Liaison Group Meeting
- Community Sponsorships Reference Group
- Dampier Normalisation Reference Group
- Recreation Facilities Reference Group
- Resource Industry Advisory Group
- Tourism Advisory Group