Jam-packed Australia Day
15 Jan 2018
The City of Karratha is gearing up for a big Australia Day with a host of activities planned to recognise community champions, welcome new citizens to the community and celebrate our great nation.
Festivities are set to kick off in the morning with an Australia Day Awards ceremony recognising community champions for their hard work and contribution to the City. Friends and families of the nominees will also celebrate the announcement of the Event/Activity of the Year and the crowning the Citizen of the Year during the prestigious awards ceremony.
Nearly 40 people will become Australian Citizens at the annual Australia Day citizenship ceremony following the Australia Day Awards at the Karratha Leisureplex.
Community celebrations will continue throughout the day with an Aussie Outback Sundowner full of free family fun from 5pm at the Karratha Leisureplex Oval including a monster truck demonstration featuring Shattered Silence, live music, a BBQ competition, a live broadcast with Spirit Radio, food options as well as a range of games and activities for the kids.
To cap off a fantastic day of celebrations a massive display of fireworks will be launched from the Leisureplex Oval at 7.30pm.
City of Karratha Mayor Peter Long said Australia Day is a chance to get together with friends and family and celebrate our wonderful country.
“Australia Day is a time for us to reflect on who we are as a community and celebrate our achievements as a nation. It is a time for us to come together with friends and family and recognise those who have made outstanding contributions to our community and acknowledge their hard work,” he said.
“It is also a great time for us to make new friends and welcome Australia’s newest citizens to our country and community. And, of course, it’s not Australia Day without a true blue BBQ and fireworks display. I’m looking forward to another full day of festivities and celebrating with friends and our great community again this Australia Day,” he added.
The annual City of Karratha Australia Day Awards are supported by Rio Tinto, Horizon Power and the Woodside-operated North West Shelf Project. The Aussie Day Outback Sundowner is proudly presented by the City of Karratha with sponsors Rio Tinto, Coates Hire, Karratha Pick-A-Part Motor Wreckers, Karratha Smash Repairs, Cleanaway and Nielsen Liquid Waste Services.
Rio Tinto GM Rail Maintenance Matt Baartz said Rio Tinto is proud to support the Australia Day celebrations again this year.
“Rio Tinto is once again proud to support the 2018 Australia Day Awards and Celebrations taking place locally in partnership with the City of Karratha,” Mr Baartz said.
Aussie Day Outback Sundowner activities will take place at the Karratha Leisureplex Oval on Friday 26 January 2018 from 5pm:
- Shattered Silence monster truck is set to perform two shows on the oval, jumping over sets of cars, with the first show scheduled for 5.30pm and a second demonstration at 6.45pm (subject to change). Drivers will also be available for a meet and greet and autographs at the Youth Services marquee.
- Activities include; a zinc face painting competition, a youth chill out zone, oversized games of croquet and Connect4, and more!
- A BBQ Competition will kick off around 7pm with entrants chosen on the night
- Food options will include a sausage sizzle fundraiser by the Dampier Volunteer Fire and Rescue, the Great Aussie Bakery by Bushlolly, NW Coffee, Yo-Get-It, and Dee Cee’s Ice Cream or you’re welcome to BYO picnic
- A firework display will commence at 7.30pm from the Leisureplex Oval. The best viewing points this year will be from the oval. Pet owners in the area are advised to keep their animals somewhere safe and secure with their registration, ID tags, and contact details.
For more information about the Australia Day Awards and Sundowner visit www.karratha.wa.gov.au/australia-day