Project design 2017/18 financial year
Construction TBC funding 2018/19 financial year
The City of Karratha propose to redevelop The Palms precinct on the Dampier Foreshore, with the intention of providing an outstanding recreational facility for the Dampier and Karratha community.
The design philosophy for the foreshore redevelopment is to:
• optimise opportunities for wide range of foreshore activities,
• introduce activity nodes linking the water and foreshore activities,
• provide safe functional access to, from and throughout the site,
• separate movement of vehicles and pedestrians,
• improve stormwater drainage management/mitigation,
• address coastal vulnerability/storm surge management,
• build on the existing functional features,
• optimise the playing field area (Hampton Oval),
• develop links to adjoining areas (including Yacht Club),
• enhance the built form on the site,
• build on the “Palms” feature for the site,
• build on the amenity of the site through the provision of shade, barbecue areas, lighting and showers.
The Master Plan takes into account:
• the existing site conditions;
• issues pertaining to coastal vulnerability;
• parking and vehicular access;
• drainage and stormwater;
• recreational infrastructure;
• beach access;
• the existing playing fields;
• soft landscaping; and
• space requirements for commercial opportunities.
This report describes how each of the above elements has contributed to the
development of the Master Plan.